Re: alfa-digest V9 #304

Karl,
The biggest part of your problem is not being aware of the product you are
using. Synthetic oil does not have to be changed every 3000 miles. I am a
defense contractor and during a diesel engine maintenance contract for the US
Coast Guard I had the opportunity to work very closely with several petroleum
engineers. Because of the large amounts and multiple duties it must perform
lubricating oils on shipboard diesels are not changed frequently. What is
done is the oil is analyzed for contamination. Without getting into great
detail the condition of the oil is inspected chemically and then any
decencies are corrected either by chemical addition, replacement of the oil
or physical repairs to the engine. Not being any happier with the cost of
synthetic oil than you are I asked about the claims of 25,000 mile
protection, cold/hot weather stability etc. What I learned would fill volumes
but in a nutshell synthetic oil is many times more stable chemically than
parrafin/asphaltic based petroleum oils. The contaminates which normally
affect these oils have minimal affect on the chemical bonds in synthetics.
To test what I had learned I decided to risk an Alfa V-6 engine. At the time
my GTV-6 had about 7,000 on a rebuilt engine. I had lost a timing belt at
53,000 miles and had just completed the first year back on the road. (I am a
machinist by trade and the GTV-6 has had Mobil 1 15W-50 in it since it had
16,000 miles. During the rebuild I measured ALL moving pieces for wear...
Nothing was out of factory specs...) I changed the oil and drove the car as
my daily driver for the next 11 months. I drove through 100 degree stop and
go June traffic in Virginia and I slogged through 19 degree winter and
everything in between. After 7500 miles we took an oil sample and compared it
chemically to a sample taken from a new bottle of oil. There was less than 5%
degradation of the used oil, well within safe operating parameters. I ran the
oil another 6300 miles before the next test. It had still only dropped 8%
total. According to the petroleum engineer the oil in my car at 13,800 miles
was still a better lubricant than most of the other oils available. I asked
about filtration and was told that using the largest, best quality filter is
a must as the filter helps trap not just solid contaminants but some chemical
ones as well. I was also told that the filter could be changed and the oil
level simply topped back up. Jacking the car up on the filter side and
letting it sit overnight will drain the filter and reduce the mess factor...
Anyway, I run all of the Mobil 1 products in all of my Alfas, there are
eleven, and in my Toyota and in everything else, mom's Dodge, the outboard on
the sailboat, etc. Currently my 164L has Mobil 1 15W-50 in the engine and
Mobil 1 ATF in the transaxle and the power steering system. I use the same
oil year round in all cars and I use the various ATFs or gear lubes as
applicable. I have never had any lubrication related problems. None of my
four V-6s have the oiling mod to the head and all have 55psi or better at
3,000rpm and all are over 100,000 miles. Removing the valve covers reveals
honey colored aluminum and absolutely no sludge anywhere. Oh, the Toyota has
over 300,000 miles!
If you change the oil every 7,500 your cost will be about the same as normal
oil changes every 3,000 miles. One other thing I learned. Because of the
synthetics unique properties, solid contamination is significantly reduced
and chemical contamination is more easily burned off during long runs,
therefore filter life is also extended. I cut open one of my oil filters
after 7,500 miles and it looked better than one I took off of my in-laws year
old Chrysler. I would suggest going to 7,500 mile oil and filter changes. Of
course all of this assumes an engine in good operating condition. No
lubricant is going to repair a damaged engine and abusing a cold engine still
isn't a good idea but today's synthetic lubricants are light years ahead of
regular oils.
Thomas A. Gonnella