RE: Alfa Spica vs Ferrari Webbers

> > that if the Spica was done for performance reasons then why were the
> > European cars sold with carbs (and higher HP) during the same years?
>
> So it wasn't done for performance reasons right?
>
> > who knows how much Alfa might have had to strangle their
> > performance to extend the sales of
> > the carbed cars under the increasing emissions requirements?
>
> So it WAS done for performance reasons, right?

What I meant to say was that it was (imo) done primarily for emissions
reasons, and perhaps secondarily for performance reasons, as possibly
meeting emissions with carbs would have resulted in even lower
performance than the Spica system.

The Spica Alfas of the 70's were down on HP from the carbed Euro Alfas
of the same era.  If pure performance was the goal, then Alfa got more
out of the carbed Euro cars.

I think they were looking at how to get the best performance under the
emissions constraints they were being saddled with, which is a lot
different than saying they switched to the Spica system purely for
performance reasons.

bs