164 trans senders

>ddevaney@domain.elided wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a source for new thermal switches for the automatic
>transmission oil cooler (Part Nos. 605 433 88 and ??)?
>

>My mechanic has called several places that don't have them in stock, including
>Alfa Parts in Berkeley and IAP.

Call me a butcher but in my 2 daily driven 164 orphans, both auto trans,
have been retrofitted with generic aftermarket coolers. The system on the
the ZF is dubious, in my opinion. I have never heard the fan work in
Florida heat, and oddly after cleaning up the fluid, it remains red and
happy after mostly traffic driving 1000s of miles later. Others claim it
functions.

I am convinced that part of the short life of these ZF boxes is that they
cook to death. It could be imagination. but 111K on the one car and it has
nice clean shifts... the other car has 74K with 102K on the tranny...
shifts like a new car. I never want to swap another ZF box into one of
these. Ugh!~

Let the cool oil flow! Total cost $40-60.

Bill Harkell
AlfaBill LLC
Tampa Florida USA
http://alfabill.com