Re: BMW Air Flow Meter - Open Filter Replacement

Awww, save yourself some money do what I did. I put a K&N open cone air
filter on my existing AFM on my Milano. If you can work with wood, its easy.
I used a silcone/ nylon composite material. (bad choice on my part.It will
last, but a pain in the butt to cut.) As an after thought, I figured a good
hard wood will work. (temperature isn't a problem for where the air filter is
mounted.
Simply cut a 3 inch circle from 3/4 inch thick stock, preferably solid wood,
not plywood. Then cut out a 2 x 2.5inch rectangle from the center. You will
want to cut the circle in half to make installation easier. Seal the wood
with a good paint, or for a touch of class, clear polyurethane. (Hmmm... A
little wood grain in the engine compartment.... maybe this will catch
on...Naaahhh.)
Lay a bead of silcone sealer around the square section and clamp it on the
existing square AFM intake piece. Behind the air cleaner assy flange. (Uhh..
I forgot to mention, you might want to remove the air filter housing.) But
the filter should fit inside the air filter housing with a little finesse.
This job cost me $5.29, for the sealant I had run out of and $32 for the
filter. Alot cheaper than another AFM.
Just my way of  building a better  (and cheaper) mouse trap.
Tim Timko
Warren, Ohio
88 Milano Platinum
82 Lancia Zagto