RE: 1750 Head Gasket R/R-- Looking for Tips

A head gasket replacement is pretty straightforward ...

1) Remove the valve cover and turn the engine until you find the master
link. Set the engine to #1 TDC ('P' mark on pulley and #1 cam lobes pointing
out and on the marks) with the master link accessible.

2) Disconnect exhaust manifolds from the downpipes, remove two bolts that
holds the exhaust pipe to the bracket at the transmission and remove the
exhaust manifold.

3) Disconnect the rigid fuel lines from the FI pump at the pump. Be sure to
hold the bottom half of the fitting so that it does not turn. This is a
little awkward to do, remove the two outer lines first, then GENTLY bend
them out of the way to allow access to the other two.

4) Drain cooling system and disconnect upper radiator hose, and the heater
hose at the rear of the intake manifold.

5) Disconnect the throttle cable from the bell crank, the wire to the temp
sender, and remove the small vapor recovery tube.

6) Remove the brake booster hose from the fitting at the back of the intake
manifold.

7) Loosen the 14mm chain tensioner bolt (DO NOT REMOVE at this time) at the
front of the engine, and using a large screwdriver or prybar, push it into
the bore and tighten the bolt.

8) Disconnect the master link on the timing. Drop the chain into the engine.
(Don't worry about it, we'll get it later).

9) Remove the head bolts (I always like to let the engine cool over night
before doing this), don't forget the two 8mm bolts at the front of the head
that go up from the bottom.

10) Remove head. This is sometimes easier said than done, they are usually
pretty well stuck and will require a puller of sorts. One can be made from
an old spark plug, some threaded rod and a steel plate. Break the plug, and
weld the threaded rod to it. Cut the plate so that it will sit nicely on 4
of the head studs, and place a hole in the middle. Sounds scary, but it
works and this basically is what the factory tool is.

Helps if you have two people to lift the head off, but I have done it by
myself several times.

Personally, I like to bring the head to a machine shop and have them put it
on their head surfacer and take a minimal skim cut to both clean the surface
and verify flatness. (I'm sure someone will flame me for this, so be it, to
each his or her own)

This requires that chain tensioner be removed along with the cams. Be sure
to keep the buckets and shims marked or arranges so that they can be put
back into the same relative positions.

Assembly is the reverse of removal. Be sure to clean the top of the block
thoroughly, and if you turn the engine over with the head off, lock the
sleeves down so you don't break the seal between the block and sleeves. (a
couple of large sockets and washers work well)

Before installing the head, place some stiff wire in both ends of the timing
chain and leave it sticking up. This way you can grab them once the head is
on. Also, this may sound stupid, but don't forget the 'o' rings, I've caught
myself a few times about to drop the head on without the 'o' rings being in
place.

Lastly, answering your question about pistons and sleeves, yes it is
possible to do this with the engine in the car. IMHO it is not very
difficult, however you do have to remove the pan. I am not aware of a way to
do it entirely from the top ...

In order to remove the pan, you have unbolt the engine mounts from the
crossmember and pick the engine up a bit. It helps if the radiator is out
too, for additional clearance.

Jeff