Re: Odysseys and performance

>Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:56:40 -0500
>From: "Paul  Misencik" <paul@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Odysseys and performance
>
>When I drive a new Porsche Turbo, it's
>incredible, but the process is somewhat too distilled.  Too sterile.

And therein lies the contradiction that I see in a lot of Alfa owners.

Alfa owners tend to be quick to deride other cars of the same or older
vintage as being too crude or not having equal performance
and modern cars as being too sterile.

I'm sure there's a model T owner somewhere saying "A Giulietta has
incredible handling, but the process is too distilled.  Too sterile."
and a Honda owner saying "No IRS, VTEC, ECU or FI?  How crude."

If you just have to have the performance of a Milano, why stop there
and not go for a WRX?  If you just have to have a car with the character,
history and soul of a Spider, why stop there and not go for a VW Beetle?

Nine years ago, I could list a dozen reasons I bought my GTV6.  But
that was then and this is now.  There aren't many new cars that can't
beat it's performance as well as carry more, get better mileage, spew
fewer emissions, go longer between maintenance, etc.  Today,
I can only think of 2 justifiably rational reasons I still hang on to it:
I like it and it serves me well.

-Dennis
'85 GTV6
Sunnyvale, CA