RE: Odysseys and performance

The original post did note that the 356 beat the Odyssey.  I'm not sure what year 356 it was -- and their performance and handling improved rapidly from the start to the end of the model life -- but assuming it had the 88 hp engine, the four wheel drums, and the little skinny tires, it did admirably to beat a car forty years its junior with nearly thrice the horsepower and fifty percent greater tire contact area, to say nothing of suspension, brakes, etc.

Really, the test was like a race between me and my grandfather over an obstacle course.  And damn if I wouldn't feel silly if he beat me.

And that's to say nothing of how minimally an autocross course reflects the type of driving that makes driving fun.  Give me either the E-type or the 356, and a tight mountain pass with next to no traffic, and I swear I'll show that Odyssey the cleanest pair of heels it's ever seen.  I'll be sliding the tail around a bit, but it'll understeer off the road at the first tight right hander.  And I'll be having a blast.

Anthony.