Real Photographers Don't Use P&S?

<<I have been thinking, who exactly needs 5MPixels for
compact P&S cameras? I always thought those who used
compact P&S only needed 4x6" prints for family
events or travelling snap shots. For that, I think a
3MPixels suits the purpose, and less expensive to buy
too. Canon G2/G3 sport with high quality lenses, and
many serious users might find the need for higher
pixels. But for compact P&S with "slow &
mini-high-power-zoom lenses", does 4MP or even 5MP
really mean anything in practice? What am I missing?

regards,
Alan Chan>>

This sounds, to me, kinda like the old saw that real
men don't eat kisch...i.e. real photographers don't
use P&S, or any other less than approved camera.  BULL
COOKIES.  I kind of find this arrogance a bit of a
cliche. I find my 3.3 MP Olympus C3000 more than
adequate, even for up to 8x10 even at the HQ
resolution but especially at the SHQ and TIFF
settings. I have an 8x12 on my wall right now, a full
frame where I used my 10 year old P&S.

Did I misunderstand what you were saying Alan?

Jerry in Houston