Re: Ford Focus Rally

> There is no reason why, that any one can can
> come up with, anyway, Ford does not sell their AWD WRC version of the
> Focus here in the States.

Agreed.  For so many years, no one wanted to sell the hot versions of
various cars here, because they thought no Americans cared much about
performance.  In fact, based on what went back and forth about OHV vs OHC
designs, insiders at Ford still believe this and apparently have market
research to prove it.

So when Subaru anted up and offered the WRX, I'm sure all of you watched as
closely as I did to see what would happen.  And GASP!  It SOLD!  In fact, it
sells out every year, and better still, it has become an absolutely
wonderful "halo" car for Subaru's image and marketing effort here.  Tens of
thousands of enthusiasts - young and old - talk about that car and lust
after that car even if they don't ultimately buy one.  The WRX is doing
precisely what special edition performance models are ultimately supposed to
do these days, namely generate interest in the brand and bring people into
dealerships who may not have ever considered a Subaru before.

Now, Mitsubishi is getting into the act with the Lancer Evolution.  Chrysler
is sticking a tow into the water with a screaming little turbocharged Neon.
More and more companies are looking at the WRX and seeing if they can bring
that kind of excitement back into their own brand.  And I've love to see
Ford do it to.  The Focus seems like a delightful little car in a lot of
ways, and a hot AWD and/or turbocharged version might be just the spoonful
of sugar the brand needs right now.  Especially since they already HAVE one!

I hope the success of the WRX and the positive press that results from its
existence and the halo effect of having it in showrooms rubs off on
companies like Ford and Alfa Romeo.  I hope Alfa looks at the WRX and says:
"Hey, wait a second... there are ENTHUSIASTS in The United States?!!  Why
weren't we told of this?!!  Mama MIA!  Get the GTA over there quick and
let's see if we can sell some!"

But I'm probably just dreaming.  I'll believe Alfa is coming back to the US
when I see it.  Not a day before.

Paul Misencik
P. Roman Media
Huntersville, NC  28078