REAR ride height (remove spring spacers!) on '84 Spider Veloce?

Most people seem to have problems keeping their rear end up!  I'm actually
trying to lower mine...

I've removed front spring spacers before to lower the ride height and am about
to do this to a '84 Spider.  Car has  stock springs f/r and Spica shocks with a
high rear end stance even with a passenger in the car.  This will be even more
pronounced if I remove the front spring spacers.

Anyone remove the rear spacers before to lower the car?  The possible spacers
sizes installed are 6.6, 11.5, 16.5, and 21.5mm.  At most I'll get 0.85 in. but
that will probably be all I'll need.

The workshop manual shows this as pretty straight forward but I'm unable to
determine if the spacer acts as a spring perch or has any function in the rear
suspension other than ride height trim.

Most likely, I'll also replace the trailing arm bushings as part of this
procedure.

One thing I dislike about the later model Spiders is they seem to be drive like
they are on their tippy toes!  Wonder if the spring rates are the same as the
pre-Bosch F.I. cars?  Car seems to sit high and stiff and drives as such.

Anyway, I would like to lower the overall ride height slightly and removing the
front and rear spacers seems a logical way to do this.