RE: Alternator Brush Replacement

I went through this process about three months ago. In theory it's
simple as pie to replace the brushes. They are held in place by two
screws and mounted to the back of the alternator.

It's worth it to try to change the brushes first. We are talking about
$30 - $40 as opposed to something like $150 - $200. Chances are the
brushes are worn and need replacing.

Ok here's the lowdown. Got to your local car parts store, I used Big
Wheel and did NOT use Schmucks (Schucks wanted $100 for the brushes &
they would have had to "special" order it, Big Wheel had it on hand and
charged me $35.) The brushes are not some exotic item, they are for your
standard Bosch alternator. Call around before buying. Have the model
number of the alternator on hand as well. Just in case. Also the brushes
are not actually brushes, they are like solid blocks of conductive
material.

The brushes look like they are made of ferrite but I'm pretty sure
that's an insulator. Anyone on the Digest know what they are composed
of?

Once you get the brushes you have two choices, one spend the extra time
to pull the alternator (I don't recommend) or remove the brushes with
the alt still attached to the engine (this, while tricky, I do
recommend). You will have contort your arm/wrist a bit to get the brush
unit off.

Hint: it's easier to get off then back on.

Once you get the brush unit off take a look at it. Chances are the
little pads/brushes are totally worn or, in my case, one was missing
completely. If this is the case then you have solved the problem and
saved some cash.

Installing the new brushes is sort of a pain. You have to make sure that
the brushes upon installation make contact with the alternator thingy (I
can't remember the name of it but it's where the brushes make contact).
This is tricky because of the angle you'll be working at and the tension
of the springs underneath the brushes.

Hint: Do this when the car is cold because the exhaust headers will burn
your arm otherwise.

Smaller, nimble hands prevail during the installation. Once you get the
brushes installed you have to screw them back down so make sure you have
the screws very close by. If you are screwing them down and it feels
easy, ie, there is no tension, then you have not gotten the brushes in
the correct position. Try again. You will get it eventually.

It took my pops and I 3 hours to change the brushes. It was hysterical.
I'm pretty handy for the most part and he is certified to work on jet
engine powerplants and has rebuilt numerous car engines. After many
hours of contortions, getting burned, wracking knuckles and cursing we
finally managed to get the things on. Hence spawing the joke:

"How many WOPs does it take to replace alternator brushes?"

It's a seemingly easy job but plan for it to take WAY longer then you
expect. You can do it yourself and I recommend you do it yourself. It's
a good learning experience and teaches you that even the simplest job
will take more time to complete then you think it will.

With this in mind I was able to replace the alternator on my Berlina
within a 1/2 hour. There is something to be said for those gorgeous old
Alfa 4s.

Good luck!

Damian

Damian Magista