re: starter problem

I have a similar problem with my 73 Spider. Definitely NOT ignition switch (in my case) as mine occured as soon as I swapped out the starter.

If not the ignition switch in your case, it is likely a solenoid that stays engaged via welding contacts or sticky final drive. The igntion switch should be an easy one to bypass and test first. Otherwise, look to the starter itself....

-Jason Hagen

From: "Luke M. Kowalski" <interfaces@domain.elided>
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: re: starter problem
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:53:05 -0800 (PST)

It is most likely the ignition switch. I had this happen in 2 of my 115
Alfas. In one, it would not shut off (like yours), in the other, it
would make contact only one Fridays with the full moon. I was able to
R&R myself, so it is not that hard.

>Hey cats,
>What is going on when the starter keeps cranking when the key
>is released? I may have asked this a year ago, but I don't remember
>if anyone answered, and if they did, what they said.

luke, SF, US

74 Alfa Spider
63 Ferrari 250 GTE
98 Audi A6 Q (hey, anyone wants to trade for an early 70s 280 4 door
Benz, or...?)
03 Ford truck