Re: liner removal

Tom Callahan asked about stuck liner removal: Jeff Greenfield, Will Owen, and
Russ Neely offered various solutions. I will second Jeff's - no hammer, smooth
screw. What I had available when I first had the need was a vise-screw for a
Scandinavian-style woodworker's bench tail-vise screw, 17" long, a tad over 1"
diameter, square threads, big sliding T-handle and split bearing-plate at one
end and a massive nut with two big ears at the other. Ground the ears enough
to clear the block and register on the bottom of the liner, bridged between
the walls of the block at the top, and the stuck liners slid out like they
were greased. Between engines it does its originally intended job, but pulling
eight woodscrews turns it back into an Alfa tool. At the high end, Garrett
Wade sells that size and type of vise screw for $32, others might be less; at
the frugal end threaded rods (probably plural) should work about as well, but
without the alternate use bonus. Much as I love my hammers, from the
three-ounce Warrington to the sixteen pound sledge, low-impact pressure,
whether screws, levers, hydraulic or whatever, seems the better way where it
works. Easier to quantify, and quieter too.

But, whatever works, works. Enjoy yours,

John H.