Need an engine opinion on a 164 S noise

Hello, I looked at a 164 S today with decent mileage (65K). It was OK
mechanically (had alot of recent maintenance etc), and appears from the
records, at least the recent ones, that it has been maintained regularly and
properly at a well-known Alfa shop. Anyhow, upon returning from the test drive,
I noticed that there was a subtle knock in the engine at idle. Very hard to
tell if it is indeed a rod-knock or just some metallic bits meeting at idle
speeds (external engine brackets or something). When I brought the engine over
idle a little bit the noise went away, and didn't appear to increase with rpms
or get worse. Just a little nervous about needing a $5K engine tab soon after
buying the car. The owner, and his well-known shop (name withheld) say the
noise has not gotten better or worse for the last 20K or so miles, and that to
not worry about it unless it starts to get worse.... I guess my question is,
given the rather loose diagnostics noted above, how likely is it that I'm just
looking at a bracket or motor mount or some such needing adjustment, or would a
rod bearing sound as above. I've looked at another car with a bad rod bearing
and the knock increased then eventually went away as the rpms increased. Any
and all help appreciated.

Adam

--
Adam S. Doherty