Re: "Omni Pak"

Hello Don & all:

The Omni Pak is a Jacobs product, but they no longer support it.  A Google
search on Omni Pak will turn up a few references.  I also called Jacobs and
they faxed a sheet to me.

I did find a couple of installation schematics online that will help,
though. The red and black wires you mention are probably the leads to the
battery.  The best schematic I have is for installing the Omni Pak on a GM
HEI system, but you can figure out from that wiring diagram what the
different wires on the Omni Pak are for.  If you would like a copy I could
scan it for you and e-mail it.

I had one on my '63 Lotus Elite and it was a big boost for the Lucas "Prince
of Darkness" ignition system, especially on start up and after sitting for a
few weeks.  It would be equally helpful on a Guilieta of the period with
their same Lucas ignition system.

I took mine off because its jazzy finned aluminum and blue case with visible
circuitry and blinking diode behind the clear panel just didn't look right
in an otherwise original and very Brit looking '63 engine compartment.
Besides, I think there are better ways to upgrade ignition systems.  The
Omni Pak is a complex device.

The Omni Pak probably looks right at home on a 164L, but I don't think the
164L with its modern ignition system would benefit much from it.

Don

> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:32:50 -0500
> From: "Daegrigg (Don)" <daegrigg@domain.elided>
> Subject: Anyone heard of "Omni Pak"?
>
> On my 164L, there is a strange black box - actually blue on aluminum -
with "Omni Pak" on the top.  It's mounted on the frame just below the
driver-side headlight and is about 3 X 5 inches on the long side and 3
inches square on the small side.  There are study looking black and red
wires leading to nowhere as they are disconnect now.  'Anyone know what this
is?  I am guessing some sort of ignition booster.  Curious after all the
talk about Megasquirt, etc.