Cooking oil for Diesel

I heard an interview with the guy in England who promotes this and
I "think" he said something about if the oil is recycled, ie. already been
used
for cooking, or whatever, than the tax is not an issue. That's why everyone
doing it is driving around smelling like fish and chips. Did I hear it
wrong?
I was listening while doing something else, so I may have mis-heard.

Stefano
Oakland, CA