RE: GTV2000 engine swap

John, John, John...

I think you need to re-evaluate the information you have.  Let me explain:

1.	Yes, there have been successful swaps and in fact, there are a few shops
that specialize in swapping in a 3.0L Alfa engine into the 105/115 GTV and
Spider.  Apparently, the weight penalty is on the order of about 100 lbs. or
so.

2.	You say that your car is sorely lacking in power, hmmm?  You left a clue
as to why you may believe that in the text of your posting.  You said that
you are familiar with British and American Iron.  You also said that you
want to have power in your "daily-driving engine speeds of off-idle to
3-4,000 RPM."  Well, no wonder you don't think you have any power!  Alfa
engines are designed to give their best power delivery above about 3500 RPM.

3.	Just so you know that I am not inexperienced with other engines, let me
say that I have owned and/or driven many British sports cars, American
muscle cars, German performance cars, Japanese hot cars and motorcycles, but
I really prefer the smooth power delivery of an Alfa.  I own a couple of
pretty powerful Milanos (one's a 3L, the other is a 2.5) and a nice little
'69 Spider 1300 Junior.  I drive everywhere in my 1300, and although I don't
have the power of my 3L, I can accelerate quickly and have lots of power for
passing (of course, I down-shift a lot).  By keeping that little 'motore' in
its power-band (4000-5800 RPM), I have lots of useable 'daily-driving'
power.

4.	So, what I believe you should do is rethink your driving style
first...try keeping the engine in the 3000-4000 RPM range for normal
driving, and up shift at about 6000 RPM (7000 when pushing hard!).  That's
the way Alfas are meant to be driven!  They are not 'tractor-engined' cars
from the UK, nor are they pushrod, high torque truck powered cars from the
USA.  Even swapping in a high performance 3L from a 164S isn't going to give
you the kind of torque that a heavy V8 will.  Change your driving habits to
suit your high-performance car and you'll be much happier, I'm sure!

5.	Now, if after you have started to use the revs, you still feel a need for
more power, a properly hopped-up 140-160 HP street Alfa 2L in a GTV can
often outrun lots of American V8s, BMWs, Hot Hondas, etc.  But, again...it's
all in how you drive!

6.	Finally, you have a nice car there.  It is getting more rare by the
minute, too.  I wouldn't attempt to do a swap unless you really want to
destroy the inherent value of your car.

REV HIGH!!

Alfalex Csank
Norfolk, VA