RE:GTV2000 engine swap

>>I love the looks and handling of my '73 GTV2000, but it is sorely lacking
in
>>the 'go-power' department.

John, The excellent handling of your GTV is due in part the lightness of the
engine. That beautiful Alfa 4 has an aluminum block & head with a fully
counter-weighted 5 main bearing crank. stuffing a larger ( heavier ) engine
will make the handling worse.

>>I'm told with the usual hop-up modifications the power can be boosted to
>>about 160 HP, but that power is only achieved at very high revs. I'm more
>>interested in increasing power in my daily-driving engine speeds of
off-idle
>>to 3-4,000 RPM.

Did you drive with the mechanic when he took it out for a test drive?
I found that my 72 GTV sounds and runs best above 3-4K RPM.
What shift points do you use ? Try keeping it above 3K. I've never really
thought of my GTV as underpowered, even in stock form.

Rev Higher !

Rich M