very very stuck 2000 head

I'm trying to remove the head from a 73 2000 engine, which seems really
really to be stuck.  I have the factory head removal tool, and so far it
hasn't helped budge the thing any visible amount.  I'm apprehensive of
honking down too tight on it, for fear of ripping out the spark plug
threads.  I'm also putting WD40, Three-in-One, etc. down the head studs in
hopes of loosening up some of the crud. I did remove the two bolts at the
front of the head.  A few questions:

* The rope in combustion chamber method really works?  I assume you have to
remove the cams to do this, so the valves will all be closed?  Do you turn
the engine over by hand or with the starter?
* A friend suggested spinning the engine with the spark plugs in, and with
head nuts removed, to let compression lift the head.  Anyone ever
successfully done that?
* What is the best solvent to loosen up the crud caked around the studs?
* Any other trick methods anyone's used?

Thanks for any advice.

Andrew Watry