Re: Crank seals

> Well, still trying to get the last of my parts back from a certain well
> known machine shop.
>
> The crank, flywheel and other rotating parts attached thereto, I was to
> get back this weekend..  to make a long story short, I didn't get
> everything back, and the crank submitted didn't look like the one I gave
> him.

I always mark my parts, I let the machine shop know I have done so and I
show them one of the marks (I mark them twice, but that's for me to know.),
and I require a receipt for the parts when dropped off.  Keeps everything
friendly.

> Which brings me to my question. On a crank, there is the surface where
> the rear oil seal contacts. Sometimes, there is a groove worn in that
> surface, assumably from dirt and the rear seal grinding away.
>
> How deep of a groove before it becomes a problem?
>
> And, how repairable is this condition?

A speedy sleeve would do the job, I had a Fiat crank fixed with one and it
never leaked after.

Tony
70 2800 CS