Crank seals

Hello all..

Well, still trying to get the last of my parts back from a certain well
known machine shop.

The crank, flywheel and other rotating parts attached thereto, I was to get back this weekend.. to make a long story short, I didn't get everything back, and the crank submitted didn't look like the one I gave him.

Which brings me to my question. On a crank, there is the surface where the rear oil seal contacts. Sometimes, there is a groove worn in that surface, assumably from dirt and the rear seal grinding away.

How deep of a groove before it becomes a problem?

And, how repairable is this condition?

I distinctly remember my crank to have either none, or a hardly detectable groove.. the one trying to give me back has a rather significant one.

Appriciate any info on this..

Jon

77 Spider