Re: Crank seal surface repair

Over here in Oz one such item is marketed as "SpeedySleeve" and probably
hails from USA anyway.  It's a thin one-piece sleeve which is heated
slightly to fit over seal wear marks on cranks etc.  Usually used to negate
the need for an engine strip down in places like front and rear main seals.
I've used them on Toyota 4X4s using a new original size oilseal.  Another
trick is to fit a new seal and, if it's possible in the appplication, either
leave the seal a few mm short of fully seated or else push it further in so
the seal runs on an undamaged part of the journal.

If the engine is apart then I'd get it fixed properly, although this may be
expensive on a nitrided crank ?

I'd been told about Speedi Sleeves.. and they do seem to be still made by Chicago Rawhide.

But, the solution I'd prefer is if the Formerly Trustworthy Alfa machine shop I sent this all to, "finds" and returns the same crank I sent them!!!

It's not really consolation that I hear this is pretty "normal" for this place, and there have been worse stories than mine..

It's a sad day for Alfadom when a formerly great shop falls to such depths.

Anyway..

Related tech question.. where is the surface the front crank seal goes on? The front pulley? I see no smooth surface that would work.. This motor is a basket case I bought, and I havent' taken apart the spider's original motor.. and I don't seem to have a front pulley.. Hmmm, didn't I have a front pulley when I sent it in that long ago?

How rare and hard to get are they? Not bad, or something like a non-underground 2L crank, with very minor journal grooves and next to no oil seal grooves?

Jon
77 Spider