Re: California Smog (again)

Replace your catalytic converter.  That by itself will drop your HC down
below 50ppm.  Any decent exhaust shop should be able to replace it with
a generic aftermarket part for $200.  If I recall correctly, '81 was
the first year for L-Jet on the Spider.  Check for air leaks between the
AFM and the throttle body.  Also, if there's an O2 sensor (probably is),
then replace that, too.  The same exhaust shop replacing the cat should
be able to replace this with a generic Bosch or NGK part for about $50.

To prevent this kind of thing in future, get a non-recorded "pre-test"
before taking the actual test, and see if you need to fix anything first.
Most shops will do this, and it beats having to go to a referee station
if you get hit with the Gross Polluter flag.

james montebello
'78 Alfetta GT (15ppm HC last test)
'84 GTV6 (10ppm HC last test)