Re: California Smog (again)

Hi Chris,
Having recently purchased an '88 Alfa that went from a 342 to a 20 in the 2500rpm test, I have a few tips. In order of increasing cost:
1. Test it while hot. Drive it around for a good half hour before doing the test to make sure that the catalytic converter and all the sensors are at their normal operating temperature.
2. Change the oil. Low or dirty oil can have a signficant impact on emissions.
3. Replace the catalytic converter. This is supposed to be done at 65,000 miles according to the book, so probably also needs doing at 130,000 (not sure what your mileage is.) Also consider replacing the sensors.

Also note that your test failure has been registered in the CarFax database and is now forever tied to the VIN#. For this reason, you probably want to do a non-recorded pre-test before getting it officially re-tested, so there aren't two failures on the record. I'm also not familiar with the legality of selling a car for which you don't have a valid smog certificate if you chose not to repair it, but the certificate is technically listed as one of the things you need in order to complete the transaction. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.
--Sam