Beatle's Project

Thanks to everyone for your comments.  In response to all....

I know it's stupid but I'm really committed to the Alfetta drivetrain, (plus
I have one laying in the yard) so it seems the standard Alfetta layout is
the go.  I have considered using just one half of the propshaft and will do
so if I can clear the clutch bulge with the seat(s) and end up with
acceptable bodylines.

If I had an Alfasud laying around in the yard I would use the
engine/transaxle as a complete unit, rather than adapting the twincam to fit
  This has a lot of precedent....IIRC Alfa had an open wheeler class in
Italy using this layout.   Also, this guy built both single-seat and
sportscar chassis using the 'Sud combo.
http://www.alfaclub.org.au/philstorr/sirius/sirius2.htm

Early 1.5 'Sud's/33s are cheap over here in Oz and it would be a way of
getting another front drive chassis off the road (sorry 'sud/164 owners) ; -
)
I haven't completely discounted this layout for a future middy project.

This link (suggested by Ian Rankin) shows a roadgoing sportscar using both
105 and Alfettta layouts.
http://www.alfaclub.org.au/philstorr/ricci/ricci.htm

I was intending to keep the seating positions between the inner edges of the
tyres similar to a Lotus 7.  However, clearing the transmission hump in a
sportscar would require outboard seating as used in the 'Ricciardi'.  The
body then becomes a major project in itself.

This guy has used Alfetta layout in this Sevenesque project, but I can't get
a lot of info from him.
http://www.racetech.ee/a/cars/est003.htm
He tells me he only used one half of the propshaft.

I'm not keen on a fully independent rear end as it adds complications to the
project.  I don't wish to get bogged down in the theory and chassis tuning
too much and simply wish to get my elbows into the breeze.  Hmmm I can smell
Avgas and Castrol R as I type !!

Reversing the dedion triangle is something I hadn't considered and has merit
even in a front engine layout.   The dedion wouldn't absorb a lot of force
anyway as the braking forces would be absorbed by the transmission mount, so
reversing it sounds rather easy and safe.  Boattail bodywork would finish
the job perfectly.

As for reversing the front spindles, I have considered the steering
implications and would simply get a LHD steering rack from the US and invert
it to retain RHD for Oz.   Orientation would be irrelevant in a monoposto.

Beatle
Oz

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type image/gif]