Re: mid engine Alfetta project

    Paul - I looked into this sort of thing a few years ago and concluded it
was too much trouble, esp with a DeDion IRS, as IIRC, there really isn't
enough room back there to make everything fit around the engine trans combo.
I'm sure others will chime in on this, but I'm not aware of ANY mid engine
setup that has ever used the DeDion IRS.  You might have a look (if you
haven't already done so)  at various mid engine setups that use a double A
arm IRS.  Many manufactures have just simply transplanted a frt whl drive
setup to the rear and deleted the steering part. Or consider an east/west
setup with a 164 trans, if you want to go all-Alfa.  It would be rather
complicated to get the Alfetta trans to work in a mid engine setup.  Most
frt and mid engine boxes have the output shafts toward the bellhousing,
whereas Alfa puts the gears in front of the output shafts which makes for a
very long distance between the frt of the engine and the output shaft, and a
correspondingly long engine bay.  You'd be much better off to adapt to a
transaxle that's designed for that use - say a Porsche 914 or VW/Audi box
that are made to bolt up to an engine in either frt or mid engine
configuration.  Actually, I just remembered that Suburu was the easiest and
most cost effective way to go and got so far as making up an adapter before
I abandoned the project for other reasons (write me if interested).  All of
the above isn't to say that it can't be done, but you're facing a steep
uphill grind, my friend.  Interesting project tho!  Good luck and keep us
posted.  Cheers, Ron.