prevent broken trunk cable in Spider

Hi Group:

I've been through the broken trunk cable routine before, but worse (and more $), the cracked plastic B-pillar housing. Last year, on my '74 Spider, I removed the spring on the bottom part of the trunk latch assembly. There is an internal spring in the latch that makes it function, and with the secondary outer spring removed, it works just as well, except with less cable tension. I've got no clue what the second spring was ever there for, except to maybe earn some extra lire for the manufacturers' of the cables and B-pillars. I've got a replacement B-pillar for my '87 Spider, as the original one was also shattered, and if I ever get a chance to install it, the extra latch spring in that car is coming off, too.

Regards,

Dean
'74 & '87 Spider's