More on the free Alfa Spider

Went ot pick up the free Alfa spider yesterday. Now I know why no one else
got it first. Five flat tires, siezed brakes, and stuck at the top of the
the hills in Fairfax. If you've never been up these hills, they are
_absolutely_ insane, single-lane but two-way traffic, and almost
un-navigable in a big truck, much less a big truck with a trailer. Almost
lost my truck off the side of one of the embankments, which were sloppy-wet
in mud, and it would have been a hundred feet straight down. Not remotely
fun.Trailer bottomed out and drug a few craters in the pavement on some of
the steeper switchback woop-de-dos, all at between five to maybe fifteen
miles per hour.

Ah, well.... Crazy goddam hobby.

Anyway, about the car. Actually very nice. Uncracked dash, perfect steering
wheel and guages, original rubber mats, fiberglass hard top. Owner bought
it from the original owner in '76 or thereabouts, and only drove it for a
few years. Most of the time it sat parked under a carport. Body has a few
dents and dings, but appears to be original paint and no goddam
Bondo-sculpture bullshit _anywhere_. Minimal surface rust on a few scrapes
and scratches, but no bubbles that I recall, and I'd say this has got to be
the best free Alfa spider I've seen in ten years.

I'd like to restore the old girl, but I have wwaaayyy too many projects and
I really picked it up for a friend of mine who was planning on making an
autocrosser out of her. I've since come to learn he has no interest in
restoring her, or even painting her, rather he wants to weld the doors
closed, saw holes in the fiberglass top, and God only knows what sort of
other ill-concieved lunacy. Wish I'd known _before_ offering to pick the
car up for him, and I wish the car wasn't so damn nice, since I expected it
to be just another junker, but there's still time to talk him out of being
an idiot and ruining something nice, so we'll see....