Water pump oil leaks

At 02:43 AM 1/27/2003 +0000, you wrote:
A couple months ago, I asked the group for input into a substantial oil leak
from the front of my 2-liter immediately after a rebuild.  Many of you
offered suggestions, including one person who said the water pump might be
the source.  Well, like an idiot, I didn't give the water pump enought
consideration.  It was brand new after all.  So, the other day, I stopped at
Besic Motorsports and asked Mike what it sounded like to him.  He immediately
suggested checking the water pump housing in the tachometer drive housing.
Some years back, I believe I wrote about this. Took me 3 times in and out with my new dealer-supplied OEM water pump to realize it had a porous casting in the tach drive housing. Like many others, I assumed it was some bonehead thing I'd done.

Since writing about it, I have heard of several other examples with the same problem. The quality of the impellers and general castings in the new pumps do not approach that of the ones from the '70s; I have a couple of used spares and will get them rebuilt before I'll waste time and money on a new piece of junk. Actually, since both my used ones are in excellent shape, I never expect to have to buy another.

YMWV,
Joe
Portland
'72 Spider