Braided steel lines

Dan asked:

"I have a couple questions regarding braided steel lines.   I know that it
has been discussed that dirt can work it's way into the braid and that's
why they're technically not street legal.  What about using some sort of
sheathing like heat shrink tubing to keep out the dirt ?"

I must have missed this discussion, and would like to know more details,
especially since I replaced the 35+ year-old rubber clutch and brake lines
on our Cobarini (very rare Alfa product) with them. In both instances, I had
an "event" preceding each replacement, and should have already known that
old rubber lines shouldn't be expected to last that long.

Jim Barrett

Huntington Beach, CA USA