attaching windshield trim on a gtv

One of the four pieces of the stainless trim around
the glued-on windshield of my gtv fell off.  I got a
replacement but I don't know how to properly attach it
in place so that it doesn't fall off too.

The seal between the body and the windshield looks old
and dry.  There is a 3M product that claims to close
the pores on such seals.  Should I pry out the rest of
the trim and apply it?  Is there any other way to
renew the seal without actually removing the
windshield?

Thanks a lot,
Vangelis
Mountain View, CA