Poor idle and temperature setting.

Hi all,

Well it's that time of year here again, first track day is about three weeks away!!

I have a couple of problems with my 1750 GTV.

Firstly after rebuilding both brake boosters over the summer break, and replacing the rubber carb mounts I still have a poor idle.
The engine seems to flood whilst idling, in that it starts OK, runs fine for a few minutes, then stumbles and eventually stalls. Opening up the throttle seems to clear everything and it idles fine for a little while etc. This makes tuning the thing difficult to say the least. The engine has stock Dellorto DHLA40's, with stock jetting out of a 1980's guilietta. I figure the carb balance is out of whack, I don't have a carb balancing tool, my mechanic usually just does it by ear, but he has much more experience than I, so how's about someone letting me in on the secret? Or is this not the problem?

Next is that the temperature gauge is in Farenheit, what's the usual running temp for an engine like this? The reason I ask is that I have installed a thermostatic electric fan in front of the radiator, and I want to know what temp to get it to cycle around.

Cheers
Stuart Thomson
'72 GT Junior 1750
'89 75 3L