Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:36:00 -0500
From: Mark Denovich <mark@domain.elided>
Subject: Compression Test

Can I safely assume that doing a compression test on a cold engine,
particularly an engine that has sat for a few weeks, is practically
worthless?   (and by cold, I mean about 40-50F)

I was getting ready to do a valve adjustment, and wondered what I'd see
on a test.   The results were (in psi): 165, 170, 185, 210, 170, and
165.  These numbers were quite a bit more variable when I first measured
them shortly after I had parked the car...  (I lost the paper I had
written them on, which is why I thought I would do the test again.)

The engine in question is in my 164S.

	--Mark
	http://alfa.denovich.org