Rough sounding engine

I hate to play "name that vague engine sound" but I've never had a car with rod-knock, piston slap, or a detonation problem, so I lack a trained ear.

Here are the symptoms my 164S is exhibiting:

Under load, between 2000rpm and about 3500rpm, the engine has a loud sort of diesel-like sound. The staccato nature seems to suggest that just one or two cylinders are responsible for the noise. At idle, or high rpm the engine sounds more or less like my Verde.

Now that I think about it, the nature of the sound is similar to the noise my first car (a '80 Cadillac Coupe deVille) made thanks to a loose exhaust manifold.

*scurries down to the garage*

So I found that 3 of the nuts were several turns loose. The bolts seemed tight enough. In the process I answered the question about which battery lead to disconnect: At least one of them. I forgot about re-attaching the negative lead when I did the compression test, and nearly soiled my pants when the wrench tapped the positive terminal on the alternator. Duh! Anyway, I'll cross my fingers that the noise was something as stupid as an exhaust leak, but is it ever that easy?

Other things: Most of the valves were in spec, one was .002" tight, one .002" loose. 5 out of 6 recently replaced spark plugs look good, a nice light brown color. One is dark and seemingly wet. I experienced something similar on my Verde thanks to a fouled injector. So I sent the 164's injectors to be cleaned/rehabed. Before and after flow tests revealed no smoking gun. I did verify that every cylinder was getting a good spark.

The big unknown gnawing at my gut, is the great gobs of RTV the previous dumbass owner/mechanic used to seal the valve covers. I have bad dreams that it's blocking oil passages, starving rod bearings, and is ultimately responsible for the noise.

--Mark
http://alfa.denovich.org