There's a Spider bodywork question in here somewhere

Remember Duffy's Tavern on radio which always began with, "Al, got a
problem."

AD, got a problem. This is one for you body guy experts. Okay, we know
we can take a straight 'file' and work out the highs and lows on the
upper rounded portions, rockers, hood, etc.

But what the heck do you use for a sanding paper back-up on the damnable
concave portions on the sides? I've been using two sizes of 3M's
WetOrDry rubber squeegees (2" x 3" & 2.75" x 4.25"). Of course you have
to cup the edges with your fingers and god only knows if the cupping is
remotely correct, let alone consistent throughout the length of the car.
Yes, of course I use a guide coat.

Then you have the curve underneath and above the outermost edges of the
concave. For this I use a round (1.25 dia." x 11" ) 'Dura-Block' rubber
'blocking tool'. The 'tools' don't jibe in that the Dura-Block makes for
a pretty good  sanding 'template' for the tight upper and lower curves
and the 3M squeegees work fairly well for most of the flatter, but still
concave, sections. However, they don't meet up well and I end up with
low spots between the two. You're paying attention and have followed all
of this haven't you?

I can't even imagine a slick, no problemo tool, but hoping one of you
have invented one. Yeah, I know, don't work on Spiders with ripply
concave sides.

Which brings up what I feel is the crux of the problem. So many Spiders
had unfortunate and in my not humble opinion, butt ugly, dealer
installed side moldings installed from new. I'm absolutely certain that
over time, repeated slamming the 'protected' doors against pillars,
other vehicles and having them do the same to your Spider bends in the
outer edges (especially the top one) of the concave area. Unprotected,
you get a ding / dings. Not fun, but 'fairly' easily fixable. However,
when you have both sides of a car almost imperceptibly pushed in with
subsequent rippling of sheetmetal, it's a bitch to fix - correctly.

My future is in your hands.

Biba
(Still sanding away in) Irwindale, CA USA

Unnh, John H. what do the Alfa dealer updates say about the above
situation other than "Buy new body, remove old one, install new one
using special Alfa tools, blah, blah, and especially blah-tee-dah."?