RE : spider spoiler removal - paintjob tips

>> I'm getting ready to paint my 1987 Spider, and I've decided to
>> go with a cheaper paint shop, since I'm just looking for a
>> driver that is presentable, not a concours-quality job.  To try to
>> maximize the results from this, however, I'm going to strip off
>> as much of the trim myself as I can, to avoid overspray
>> wherever possible.

Paul,

i have seen the results of cheap paintjobs many times. the main reason for the low cost is lack of preparation.  aside from the low
longevity of the cheap paint itself, the poor preparation meant
that the new paint peeled easily, and there was lots of overspray
in the wheelwells, on suspension, and under rockerpanels.

i realize you're on a budget, so here are cheap suggestions :

1. after you have removed the trim, clean the car thoroughly with
a grease and silicone remover a couple of times. then, lightly
scuff the paint with a fine sandpaper ( 360 or 400 wet ) or fine
scotchbrite.  this will give the new paint a surface to grip to.  if the
paint is scuffed before it is cleaned, you will just be rubbing any
offending residue into to paint.

2. for any trim, gaskets, etc. that are left on the car, you might
want to do some masking youself, so you know it has been meticulously done.

3. have the paintshop use a proper sealer over the old paint.
this is also for the new paint to get a grip, as well as minimize
any reaction between different types of old vs. new paint.

4. have the paintshop mask off the underside of the car to
prevent unsightly overspray.  you would be amazed how paint
mist seems to seek out places to stick !

if your paintshop says they do all this for the price, take it with
a grain of salt, and either do these yourself, or stand over their
shoulders and make sure it gets done.  i have seen behind the
scenes of many ordinary paint & bodyshops, and you would be
disgusted at the quality of work and attitude of the "techs" that
are actually doing the work, even though the salesman and
manager promise you the moon.

you can visit a local auto paint supply shop and get tips and
recommendations from them as well.

--dion fields
--'73 gtv
--los angeles