Re: GTV6 Power Stack Air Filter

The "Power Stack" definitely removes a restirction in the inake, but unless
someone has actually done some back-to-back comparison tests, the jury is
out on whether it actually makes any additional power.  I have some
experience fabricating similar parts on various Bosch-injected cars and my
thoughts are:

1)  It certainly removes a restriction in the intake, but is that the most
restrictive part of the intake?  If the airflow meter and/or intake tract is
restrictive further downstream, then it doesn't matter how much air you flow
through the filter.  I honestly don't know the answer to this, but I figure
someone might...

2)  My other worry is the fact that the Power Stack looks like it will draw
hot underhood engine air.  The stock airbox insulates the intake charge -
partly for noise reasons, but also partly for heat reasons.  Hot intake air
is less desne, robbing the engine of power.  I fabricated a system like this
on a Porsche 944 I used to own, and the air flow through the engine
compartment was sorta poor, so the car actually LOST throttle response and
horsepower unless I was really whizzing along.  I hated that.

3)  The sound, though, is probably pretty wicked.  Totally different from a
coffee-can exhaust.  Intake noise is snarlier and cooler, IMHO.

Dyno tests for these things are misleading.  Sometime they only make more
power in the last 500 RPM or so, making them all but useless unless they are
on a race car, but allowing an accurate claim of "adds seven horsepower".
Also, dynos usually have a huge fan blowing air through the engine
compartment, often with the car's hood open.  This evacuates heated intake
air, but not be replicatable on the street.

My favorite test was always 2500 to 6000 RPM in third gear.  Hammer the
throttle, start the watch, and time the way the engine revs.  It's easy to
replicate precisely, long enough to time with a stopwatch accurately, and
gives a very good indication of real-world performance gains.  I'd be
interested to see if anyone has tested the Power Stacks for Spider or GTV-6.

But it might be worth it for the sound alone.  Pretty affordable piece...

Paul Misencik
Huntersville, NC  28078
Tel: (704) 892 4775
email: paul@domain.elided