Batteries

Ralph said:

"I would not put a battery in the passenger compartment of any car. If my
memory serves me right, batteries give off hydrogen gas while charging, which
would be all the time, as well as sulfuric acid fumes. I can picture the
results of a hydrogen explosion inside a Spider with the top up. Top, seat and
driver pieces all over the place."

Well, may be as may be, but I know every VW Beetle I ever knew had its battery
under the back seat, as did my Austin Mini station wagon, and I certainly don't
recall any stories about those things blowing up. As someone mentioned a couple of
Digests ago, excessive, um, interpersonal activity in a Beetle's back seat can
cause more sparks even than were originally intended, but I say anyone who could
do THAT in a VW back seat is probably ready for anything...

On two occasions that I remember, my Mini's battery came loose from its moorings
and grounded itself out on the seat frame, but the only result was a sudden bad
smell and immediate cessation of both lights and forward motion. Didn't even fry
the battery - I just slid it back into place and took off again.

Will Owen