Tight valves and diagnosing "burned valves"

One opinion on the discussion of tight valve clearances claims that tight clearances will result in a burned valve. My only experience with a burned valve was in a MGB where a bb-size hole formed on the edge of the valve, resulting in no seal.

Can anyone provide a more precise description of what "burned valves" really look like? On the 1750 engine I'm building, the exhaust valves and seats were what I describe as being "pitted"- lots of very small pits that gave the valves and seats a speckled appearance. The pitting could not be eliminated by lapping the valves to the seats so I had them cut. The valves were new from a prior rebuild and had 80K miles on it; the exhaust lash was .020-.022.

//kct, Powell TN --