Re: alfa-digest V9 #196

> To say nothing of the potential chemical warfare missle in an accident.
> John Gallagher

>> I would not put a battery in the passenger compartment of any car. If
>> my memory serves me right, batteries give off hydrogen gas while
>> charging,
> which
>> would be all the time, as well as sulfuric acid fumes. I can picture
>> the results of a hydrogen explosion inside a Spider with the top up.
>> Top, seat
> and
>> driver pieces all over the place.
>>
>> I'll keep my battery in the trunk, thanks you.
>>
>> Cordova Ralph
>>

>> I recently moved my '72 Spider's battery from the engine compartment
>> to the shelf behind the passenger seat, where it is boxed, bolted and
>> strapped in place.

I thought long and hard about the concerns these gentlemen raise, and
consulted several authorities such as our local SCCA competition chairman.
 As I said, the battery is boxed, bolted AND strapped down.  It is very
solid.  And, it is a gel-cell whose outgassing is minimal if it exists at
all.

My daughter often sits in the passenger's seat.  If the engineer who
helped me with the work and I did not consider it safe, believe me, the
battery would either be in the trunk, or would not have moved from the
engine compartment.

Joe