Valve clearance

All this tighter/looser discussion has been interesting and enlightening, but
I'm still glad I decided to use factory specs and err on the side of loose
when I put my GTV engine back together last winter.  I'm sure there are cars
that take more work to adjust valve clearances than an Alfa, but I've never
owned one. . .  If I could adjust the clearances in 20 minutes like I can on
my BMW engine, I might be tempted to try running them tight to see if the
extra lift is noticeable.  Pulling two cams and measuring and juggling shims
burns an afternoon, and requires at least one parts store run for shims.

At the other end of the scale, if I decide I want different cams in the Alfa,
it can be done in no more time than it takes to adjust the valves.  And it
doesn't require pulling the head and borrowing an expensive factory tool, or
(more likely) taking the head to a shop that owns the expensive factory tool
and won't lend it to you even if you are a relative.  And altering the cam
timing in the BMW is impossible without adding an aftermarket adjustable cam
gear, which still doesn't change the fact that there's only one cam.

Tony (equal opportunity rust farmer)
70 2800 CS