Re:Valve Adjustment

Once I was very annoyed by the noisy valves on my 91 Spider and talked it
over with
other Alfa advisors.  I ran the engine up to normal running temp with many of
the removable in the way parts already loose and I quickly pulled the valve
cover and checked the clearances on the cam-follower.  When the engine was
hot the clearances were more open..by quite a bit.. As the engine cooled the
clearances decreased.  I was very surprised.  When the engine was dead cold,
the adjustment was perfect.
I am sure that others notice that when you first start your cold engine, it
is fairly quiet with almost no valve noise, but as it warms, and after a hard
track run, there is considerable valve noise.  This reinforced the idea that
an engine is more vulnerable when cold, and that valves should only be
adjusted when stone cold.  I can't really understand which parts actually
expand to increase the clearances, but it is a substantial difference in
measure.
I replaced the valve springs when doing the head rebuild, and the noise got
much quieter .

Food for thought
Stan
91