From: David Ross [mailto:ross@domain.elided]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 2:47 AM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: '86 Spider - How to check bumper for damage

Yesterday I was rear-ended by an old Lincoln Continental; we were all
waiting
for a light to change, and the guy behind me flaked and started up on red
for
no apparent reason.  The collision was very slight (though enough to
surprise
the heck out of me), and after I chewed out the driver I checked my car's
tail
and couldn't find any damage, except possibly a tiny nick in the metal
surface.

Is there a possibility of dangerous hidden damage - compressed pillar or
some
such - and if so how do I check it, or should I just assume the bumper did
its
job and everything is OK?  I've seen similarly light collisions totally wipe
out newfangled painted plastic bumpers...

- David R.