exhaust studs

Kind Alfisti,

Can anyone tell me what the best way to reinstall studs is?
Say, exhaust manifold studs?
I've never had to replace studs before.

My ten year old neighbour -- who's a lovely kid: smart, polite, fascinated by anything mechanical -- has just learnt a very important lesson about crossing threads, and the dangers of using a socket set to force a nut on instead of finger tightening it first.  Fortunately, he learnt the lesson on a brass exhaust manifold nut, and not on my expensive alloy cylinder head, so I've been able to pull the stud and pick up a replacement.

Regards,
Anthony.

''85 116 Giulietta