re: GTV glass removal

Steve Shaffer wrote:
>Gack! Don't cut that beautiful gasket!  Why do such a thing?  The front and
>rear glass can come out just fine without trashing such a rare and expensive
>gasket

I agree!  I'd never cut up a perfectly good gasket if I could avoid it.
It's not that new gaskets are expensive or hard to find, but if you remove
the glass from the car by cutting the gasket, then you have to take off the
aluminum trim, put the new gasket on the glass, and put the trim back on
the gasket.  This is not only time-consuming, but it's very likely you'll
bend the trim.  And new trim pieces _are_ hard to find!

There are good descriptions of how to remove the glass in the Digest
archives.  Basically, you take the gasket, glass and trim out in one piece
by carefully working the gasket over the window lip from indside, using a
plastic spatula.  It helps to have an assistant outside to catch the window
so it doesn't fall on the floor and break.

Dana