Re: alfa-digest V9 #170

This car was obviously brought to America by someone emigrating here or a returning US serviceman who bought it for personal transport while overseas. It is legal to bring cars in under both of these circumstances. OTOH, its probably for sale because the owner found that (1) nobody in the US knew how to work on one and there is no source in this country for manuals, and (2) no parts are available for it in this country. Hence the sale. I looked at it closely on E-Bay, and it looks like a stripped-down "Hertz" version with cloth seats. The 155 wasn't the greatest of Alfa Sedans, nowhere near as well made as the 156 and the 4-cylinder engine is anemic in that car (which is a bout the size and weight of an Accord) making it dog-slow. How do I know? I've driven a similar rental 155 in Europe.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Saturday, Jan 11, 2003, at 08:20 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:59:19 -0800
From: "Rich Lasner" <richlasner@domain.elided>
Subject: US-registered 155 T Spark on Ebay

Anybody take a look at the 1996 155 Twin Spark on Ebay? The description says
it has 37,000 miles and a US title (their words, not mine). After what Ive
read about importing recent cars that were never US-certified, I didnt
think this could happen. I have seen plenty of non-US-spec older Alfas like
Montreals and Z Jrs., and the very occasional ex-diplomat or temporary
foreign workers car, like the Nuvolo Blue 156 that lurks in San Francisco,
but not a 155. Who is buying it, and when can I come over and drive it?

Rich Lasner
1992 164S
ARA
AROC