Diagnosing Starter Solenoid?

My '73 GTV has a starter problem that is accentuated by cold temperatures. The symptom is that when you hit the starter, it clicks and spins up, but does not engage the flywheel. If I keep bumping the starter, it will eventually hit the flywheel and result in a normal start. After the car is has been driven and warmed up, the number of bumps to engagement is "normal". Cold temperatures below 25f can require as many as two dozen bumps or more, and there is a somewhat linear relationship such that at summertime 70+ temperatures it nearly always catches on the first bump or three.

This is my second winter with this car. At the end of last winter, I had removed and examined the starter and solenoid, and cleaned grime and corrosion, hoping the problem was a result of it's previous long non-running status. My pre installation bench test showed a full length extension of the starter pinion to its limits. Apparently that "cure" coincided with spring - now the "cold temperature effect" on the solenoid is back and prevents it from pulling the pinion the full length required to engage the flywheel.

Does this sound like a solenoid failure?

Thanks, //kct, Powell, TN