Re: T.S. engine in a '74 GTV

I have an '89 TS engine installed in my '74 GTV which came out of an Italian
Alfa 75. We rebuilt the engine entirely, porting and polishing and
rebalancing. Everything almost fit. We had to move the radiator forward 1/2
inch. Changed the sump from the Alfa 75 TS to my old one off the '74 engine.
Did the same with the water pump in order to make the tachometer work
properly. Had to cut the coolant overflow bottle down by 40% to make it fit.
Changed the old a/c compressor to a new rotary. True we had to manufacture
new 25" headers as the old don't fit and the new don't either. Basically,
those were the only serious modifications. Kept the engine management system
sticking the computer under the dash in the inside of the car.

The performance is more than exceptional. Torque is phenomenal. The stock TS
engine is rated at 148 hp din at 5800 rpm. Due to the better breathing mods
we think we may have an additional 15-20 hp. The performance of the car has
little resemblance to that of the car with the '74 stock engine. My wife and
I also own a 2001 Porsche Boxster. Low and mid-range acceleration seems to be
as good in the TS Alfa as the Boxster. I don't know that the TS Alfa handles
any worse than the Boxster but I'm prejudice and have had some awfully good
autocross times.

I cannot think of a better automotive investment than a TS engine in a GTV.
[Unable to display image]
> Subject: TS in other cars.
>
> Having a little experience with a TS conversion, I can tell you this for
> sure.
>
> 1) A 75 TS engine and/or a 75TS head on a 2L block will not clear the hood
> of Pf Spider where the hood slopes down toward the nosecone.
>
> 2) The water outlet on a TS head is on the back.   There is no room for the
> water (I think the t-stat is there too) jacket and hoses to come out to the
> side.   Besides, the plumbing for such a system is challenging at best.
>
> 3) The dual distributor system will not fit.   Nor will a conventional
> distributor for a 75TS.   An electronic spark box is needed to fire it.
> The
> twin sparkplug setup (stock) will not yield additional power.   There is
> more power in there when done right.  Don Black shared with me some years
> ago how they tested that and what they found (Alfa that is).
>
> 4) There isn't much meat on the intake ports around the water ports to
> port.
> You will end up with wafer thin aluminium that could crack easily.
>
> 5) There is no stock exhaust manifold that will fit this.   Nor aftermarket
> off-the-shelf headers.   It has to be made.
>
> Ran out of time to finish this list, but I have been involved (off and on)
> with a TS conversion for the last 7 years into first a Duetto, and then a
> Super.   Email me directly if you want more gotchas.   I did write a post to
>
> the digest in the 96-97 time frame on this subject and the perils.
> Perhaps
> someone can dig it up.
>
> - -Peter

Marc Mosko
                                                          President, South
Florida Alfa Romeo Owners Club
Hollywood, Florida
'65 Giulia Spider Veloce
'74 GTV 2000 T.S.
'91 164 S

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of What an engine - Pic #1.jpg]