Re: Changing liners without taking apart the crank

I that that you have to at least remove the connecting rods from the crank. On the Giulietta Alfas, anyway, the liners used to come from Borgo with the pistons already installed in them. The installation procedure was to push the piston down as far as you could without the lowest (oil) ring popping out the bottom of the liner. This exposed the wrist-pin and allowed the connecting rods to be installed. I seem to remember that pushing the piston down this far was much lower than the crank throw would allow the piston to normally ride. Since the V-6 is a very over-square engine, I would suspect that you wouldn't even see a piece of the wrist pin with the piston in its lowest position with the connecting rod still attached to the crank. Someone else with more experience with the lower end of this engine can probably tell us for sure.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Wednesday, Jan 8, 2003, at 04:03 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:12:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Zamani Zambri <zzambrimail@domain.elided>
Subject: Changing liners without taking apart the crank

Hi Guys,

For a V6 is this possible? The heads (guides, seals) and bearings (rods
and mains) were done 2 years ago but I the liners, rings and pistons
were not replaced. Can I somehow change out the pistons and liners
without taking apart the crank and rods?

I guess since I would have the engine out, it would be a good thing,
but if it is not necessary, I would like to avoid it.

Thanks.

Zamani
http://mailplus.yahoo.com