my brakes, update

Well, the brakes seem to work, there's just a *lot* of play in the pedal before they actually do. My heel-toe technique is screwed-up in an almost Spider-like sort of way. When I did the rear brakes three weeks ago I thought I had too much play in the pedal, but after adjusting those rear calipers several times and not quite being satisfied, I thought I'd wait and see if the doing the fronts helped...nope. Now it's way worse. What's the deal?

Thanks again,
Joe